I recently got back from my third trip to Hawaii. This was my first trip as an adult and the first time I stayed outside the tourist area. Since I had already been to the tourist hot spots I thought it would be best to do some more local things. What better way do find those gems than with a local.
The highlights of my trip:
- Reconnecting with a childhood friend.
- Sitting on a beach with only a handful of other people looking out into the beautiful water.
- Watching the sunset on the western most point of the island.
- Hiking to a wonderful waterfall and listening to the tranquil sounds of the creek.
- Body boarding for the first time and being able to take a wave all the way onto the beach.
- Finding an amazing Indian food restaurant. Cafe Maharani, where the food tastes great and the metal dishes will make you feel like royalty.
- Seeing two complete rainbows forming over Honolulu. Talk about lucky! What an amazing sight. I only wish I had the photo to share with you.
- Hiking to the top of one of the peaks and watching the gliders launch from Dillingham Airfield while seeing the beach in the background.
- Watching the surfers at Pipline. Even better, was seeing Bethany Hamilton dominating the waves. That girl is such an inspiration. She’s a great role model for not letting anything keep you from your dreams.
- Coming home with as much of a tan as an Irish girl can get in 5 days.
The little things I missed: water pressure. Detachable shower head.